History of the SNU Senate
About the Seoul National University Senate
The SNU Senate is an organization established according to the Act of Higher Education and the Bylaws of the University. It deliberates on important matters concerning the operation and development of the University including the major agenda concerning education and research.
History of the Seoul National University Senate
The SNU Senate, established in 1955, was abolished in 1976 under the draconian rule of the authoritarian government. It was established again in 1988 thanks to the victory of the democratic movement in June, 1987. The role of the Senate as the official organ that represents the voices of the faculty and staff has been strengthened gradually since then.
- July 9, 1953.A Directive from the Minister of Education (about the establishment of the Senates of national universities)
- April 4, 1955.Establishment of the Seoul National University Senate
Promulgation of the Regulations of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 24, April 9, 1955.)
- Sep 24, 1971.Amendment of the Regulations of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 279)
Main point: The number of Senators is changed from 22 to 27.
- Mar 10, 1976.Abolition of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 384)
- Mar 21, 1988.The Senate is established again on the basis of the Article 117 of the Education Act and also on the basis of the Article 33 of the university regulations.
- Aug 23, 2003.The Amendment of the Article 42 of the university regulations for reinforcing the function of the Senate.
Main point: In addition to the function of deliberation, the Senate comes to have the function of decision-making on the important agenda, and to include 13 outside Senators.
- Nov 1, 2003.Opening of the 8th Senate (52 inside members, 13 outside members)
- Sep 26, 2005.Promulgation of the Regulations of the Seoul National University Senate (No. 1516)
- Nov 1, 2005.Opening of the 9th Senate (54 inside members, 13 outside members)
- Feb 27, 2006.Amendment of the Regulations of Seoul National University Senate (No. 1542)
Main points: The committee for campus life was added to Standing Committees, and the Standing Committees can include a few non-Senator experts.
- Nov 1, 2007.Opening of the 10th Senate (54 inside members, 11 outside members)
- Nov 1, 2009.Opening of the 11th Senate (55 inside members, 12 outside members)
- Sep 17, 2010.The Amendment of the Article 42 of the University Regulations (Rule No. 1800)
Main points: The amendment enables the Chair of the Senate to name 10 inside and outside Senators, and the term of office for the Chair and the Vice Chair become two years.
- Sep 17, 2010.Amendment of the Regulations of the SNU Senate (No. 1801)
Main points : Regulations are added concerning the management of Steering Committee and Standing Committees.
- Nov 1, 2010.Expansion of the composition of the Senate (61 inside members, 13 outside members)
Main points: The Chair appoints 7 Senators: 3 staff members; 2 inside professors (including 1 foreign professor); 1 non-tenure track professor; and 1 outside member.
- Nov 1, 2011.Opening of the 12th Senate (50 inside members, 1 outside members)
- Dec 28, 2011.The Reorganization of the Senate
Main point: According to the Article 16, Section 2 of “the Act for the Incorporation of Seoul National University,“ the Senate is to be comprised of fifty faculty and staff members.
- Mar 14, 2012.Promulgation of the Regulations of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 1860)
Abolition of Operation Rules of the SNU Senate
- Mar 21, 2012.Establishment of the Operation Rules of the SNU Senate
- April 3, 2013.Amendment of the Operation Rules of the SNU Senate
Main points : A new clause is added to allow the Steering Committee to deal with proposals made by the Senators (Article 6, Section 2, Clause vi), and a new clause concerning the secretariat of the Senate is added. (Article 12)
- June 12, 2013.Amendment of the Regulations of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 1922)
Main points : Additional restriction on qualification of the members (Article 3 (5)), Introduction of the proviso concerning the role of the Senator (Article 6)
- Nov 1, 2013.Opening of the 13th Senate (50 inside members)
- April 9, 2014.The Amendment of the Rules of the SNU Senate (Rule No. 1950)
Main points: “Matters concerning the amendment of the Bylaws of the University“ is added to the matters of deliberation of the Senate. (Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5) The number of Senators appointed by the Chair changes from “three faculty members” to “two members of the faculty and/or staff.” (Article 3, Section 1, Clause 2 and 3).
- April 16, 2014.Amendment of the Operation Rules of the SNU Senate
Main points: members appointed by the Chairperson modified from “number of faculty is no more than 3” to “number of faculty/staff is no more than 2 (Article 2, Section 4)